I support minimum wage initiatives to establish a living wage for all.
- A livable wage allows Americans to meet basic needs, and better maintain a normal standard of living for the benefit of themselves and their families
- No American working full time should live in poverty.
- A full-time minimum wage worker ($7.50/hr) earns only $15,600/year.
- Establishment of a living wage has shown improved turnover and productivity in the job market, minimal impact on municipal budgets, and little to no employment loss.
- As your Congressman, I will work to raise the minimum wage to a Living Wage, and I will support laws that will further strengthen overtime rules for workers.
I am in full support of unions.
- Right-to-work laws hurt American workers.Unions helped to build the middle class. Unions allow members to negotiate for better pay and other benefits. It is because of unions that we now have the 40-hour work week, weekends off, lunch breaks, paid vacation, paid holidays, and sick leave.
- Unionized workers typically receive higher pay, more generous fringe and health care benefits, better pension plans, and more total paid leave.
- Strong unions set wage standards that non-unions follow. Unions fight to raise compensation and benefits, reduce the inequality gap, and work to secure legislated labor protections and rights. And yet, the US has the second-lowest unionization rate in the developed world.
- America ranks #1 for low-paying jobs; that’s not something to be proud of.
- As your Representative, I will strive to abolish Right-to-Work laws, and will work with and support local Labor Unions in order to restore collective bargaining rights back to the American worker.