I support equal rights for all human beings.
- No one in America should be discriminated against based on their race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation.
- America continues to suffer from racial inequity exacerbated by economic and socially constructed divides.
- African-American students are more harshly punished than their white peers: they are 3X more likely to be suspended out-of-school than white students , which feeds into the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Stop-and-frisk policies disproportionately target Black and Hispanic men , which has led to unequal incarceration. For example, Black Americans comprise 40% of prisoners despite being only 13% of the population.
- In the job force, persistent inequality leads to an on-average racial pay gap of 25%.
- The civil rights of the LGBQT community have been under attack for decades, and legislation to officially limit their rights has dramatically risen in recent years.
- Marriage equality reduced suicide attempts of LGBTQ teens by 7%.
- I will vote against any law that attempts to legalize discrimination.
I support freedom of speech in all its forms.
- Free speech is so fundamental to our Constitution and our nation that it was proclaimed to be the First Amendment. Any attack on our freedom of speech or press is a direct attack to our Constitution and democracy.
- The freedom of the press is our fourth estate; it’s the final watch dog over our government and understanding of the world around us. When the press is censored in any way, our perceptions and knowledge are censored, our realities filtered by the censors.
- As your representative, I will fight to uphold the First Amendment and oppose any law that threatens this Constitutional right.
I support gender equality in the workplace.
- Gender discrimination has no place in America; women deserve equal pay for equal work. While much has improved since the 1963 Equal Pay Act, there is still work to be done.
- On average, American women earn ~80% of what men earn. And, while some industries do indeed pay evenly, there are still industries (e.g. legal industries) in which women make as little as ~57% as their male counterparts.
- As your Representative, I will fight for equal pay and oppose any legislation that seeks to undermine women in the workforce.
I support both paid maternity and paternity leave.
- America has fallen behind: Of 41 developed countries, the US is the only one that does not federally guarantee paid time off to new moms, and 31 of these countries also allow for paid time off for new dads.
- Research has shown that maternity leave benefits society and economic growth, and it is economically feasible even in poor countries.
- Babies are healthier, parents are happier, and employers report positive effects on profit, turnover, and morale.
- As your Representative, I will draft legislation to strengthen the financial security of our families by guaranteeing paid leave for both parents